Fathometer

David S Mueller dmueller at usgs.gov
Wed Sep 5 14:23:28 CDT 2001

Sorry I forgot to reply to all on my response.

David S. Mueller
U.S. Geological Survey
9818 Bluegrass Parkway
Louisville, KY 40299
------------------------------------
Voice: (502) 493-1935
Fax:      (502) 493-1909
Email: dmueller at usgs.gov
----- Forwarded by David S Mueller/WRD/USGS/DOI on 09/05/2001 01:23 PM
-----

                    David S
                    Mueller              To:     "Mark R Dickman" <mdickman at usgs.gov>
                                         cc:
                    08/29/2001           Subject:     Re: Fathometer(Document link: David S Mueller)
                    08:04 AM

The Bathy 500 is probably the lowest cost survey grade echo sounder, at
least based on my recent review.  I am trying to find the funds to buy one.
Can you get away with less? Maybe. I have tested other lower cost
instruments. I you go cheap you will have to make sure that you get a
transducer with a beam width of about 8 degrees. Many fish finders use 20
degree transducers which create a large acoustic footprint. The narrower
the better. Most fish finders also don't have compensation for the speed of
sound, but you can do that in WinRiver, but just like the survey grade
systems you will need to do a bar check at each deployment. You need to
make sure whatever you purchase has a NMEA 0183 interface with the DBT
string output. Purchasing and testing a low cost system is on my list of
things to do, but I am swamped and have no real funding to do a good
evaluation of echo sounders. However, I am hoping to do it in the next 6
months, if I can find the time. This issue keeps popping up and we need to
get an answer that can be supported with data.

Sorry for the lack of a definitive answer, but I know the Bathy 500 works,
I don't know about the lower cost units.

David S. Mueller
U.S. Geological Survey
9818 Bluegrass Parkway
Louisville, KY 40299
------------------------------------
Voice: (502) 493-1935
Fax:      (502) 493-1909
Email: dmueller at usgs.gov

                    "Mark R Dickman"
                    <mdickman at usgs.gov>         To:     acoustics at simon.er.usgs.gov
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    owner-bbadcp at simon.e        Subject:     fathometer
                    r.usgs.gov

                    08/28/2001 04:35 PM

We are possibly interested in a fathometer before the end of the year to
work with WinRiver and the ADCP. I wanted to know if we needed to get
survey grade or what our options are.
I talked to Henry Hauck about one they just bought. It was a Bathy 500 from
Ocean Data Equipment at about $7000 and is survey grade. Do we have to go
as far as survey grade? Can we get away with less for use with WinRiver?
Thanks

Mark R. Dickman
USGS WRD
2350 Fairlane Drive  Suite 120